GPR: 2020 - Week 07
From MGH Learn Pathology
Anesthesia resident paging the blood bank before transfusion of FFP because: "The plasma looks green. Is it OK to transfuse?"
Registered users must be logged in to access the interactive quiz.
Normal discoloration of plasma
Dr. W. Dzik
Dr. R. MakarA. Slater
- Blood Component Visual Inspection Guide, American Red Cross, AABB, 2006.
- Visual Assessment Guide, Canadian Blood Services, 2009.
- Tovey LAD and Lathe GH. Ceruloplasmin and Green Plasma in Women Taking Oral Contraceptives, in Pregnant Women, and in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The Lancet (1968).
- Elkassabany NM, et al. Green Plasma Revisited. Anesthesiology (2008).
- Gorlin JB, Engblom A, and Janzen M. Green Plasma in Female Blood Donors on Estrogen-containing Birth Control Pills. Transfusion (2013).
This week's Gross Pathology Roundup was presented by Tasos Gogakos, MD on Mon, Feb 10, 2020.